Wednesday, August 18, 2010

George's Service Diary: Tues. Jan. 19 / Wed. Jan. 20


Tues. Jan. 19 – Nothing of interest.

Wed. Jan. 20 – A few more entries like the above and this won’t even be worth keeping. We now have a new flight schedule. The flight is on for three days in succession, then on 15-min. for a day, then off a day. We were scheduled for an early flight, but my ship was out. So when I went back to taxi out a spare, I found it had not been serviced, and it took so long to service it that I couldn’t get away with the flight. So I had a day of rest. At noon we went on 15-min. reserve, but 5 Fit. Com. said we must stay on the line. Mayo nearly ran off the end of the runway when his brakes would not hold on the wet metal strip. Had a long talk with Maj. Sims re Betty going home. He says he doesn’t know I’ll be sent, or how, so his advice was for her to go at once, unless it was possible
for her to get a new quota number without too much trouble and effective at once. He seems to think I may possibly be shipped out again very soon after I get home. So if she is there waiting for me when I arrive, it will be better than if I have to wait for her.


3 comments:

  1. So Betty is not stateside at this point?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need an illustrated timeline on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's right. After I finish with George's entries in the diary, she picks it up and chronicles her journey to the states and her reunion with him.

    ReplyDelete