Tuesday, September 7, 2010

George's Service Diary: Sun. Jan. 31


Sun. Jan. 31 – Lastest day of Jan. Just one year since we arrived on “[?]” soil. Should go home soon! Got up at 8 to slow time my ship; put 2:20 on it before lunch. The Major took my place in the flight after lunch and I put 2:30 more on it, a total of 5:00, and it runs very weel for a new engine. Hope to do 2 or 3 more hours tomorrow and get it back on combat status. Farley has offered to fly for me in the morning so I can do my slow timing. After supper we were lectured by Mr. Jacobson on methods of escaping from Japs if forced down near Lae or Salamane. Very interesting and informative. Mr. Jacobson owned a plantation near Lae, which is now occupied by Japs and he is giving the Army the benefit of his extensive knowledge of the country and the natives. The fellows had a mission to Wau in the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment